...And man, 2d camera moves and moving characters through space is hard (especially when you haven't ever really done it or worked in a 2d production pipeline). This is where I'm at on a promo piece I'm doing with some buddies at Portland Studios. Initially I just started working in flash but I realized there was no way I was capable of doing that by hand. So, I animated the layout on a large format, and then moved my camera around it in flash. I'll clean things up as I tie down the details in the next flash pass. If anyone knows a better workflow, I'm all ears. :) We're still looking on final look but for the most part Cory wants to keep things rough.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Friday, May 15, 2009
Friday, May 8, 2009
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Who's Jack and who is Inar? Well, Jack is the boy above and you'll have to wait to see Inar down the road. I started working on my collaborative project with Cory this week. First thing was to play with seeing if I can draw in his style. This was the first attempt I felt hit it. We'll see if Cory agrees. Working through the animatic now and hopefully we'll have something to show before too long. I have a tinge of worry that this project is beyond my traditional animation muscles but that's what stetching is for, no? Oh, for an animation desk... Progress might be a little slow next week as my beautiful better half is off and wants to do stuff other than animate:) After this project it's back to Garden City unless another freelance or work opportunity sweeps me away.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Squirrely is a free rig for noncommercial use only. I wanted a "ball like" character with a tail to play with for animation tests and Squirrely came into being.
- Body Rigged with The Setup Machine 2
- Stetchy IK Spine
- FK/IK Switchable Arms and Legs
- Limb mirroring
- Auto/Manual Stretch limbs
- Character Sets Set up for proper keying
- Tail/Ear Controls
- Finger/Toe FK/IK
- LowRes Proxy Geometryy mode for faster playback
- Character scaleable via master control
- Hideable tail via "COG"
- Face Camera
- Facial rig
- EyeBlend Control transitions between Joystick/look at control for the eyes
- Use the character sets - one of my nit picks with the setup machine is that the FK/IK swich attributes are located on the COG control. As such, having limited keying sets via selection sets or quickselection sets is a hassle. The characters sets make sure you key all the appropriate attributes
- FK/IK Arms and Leg switching accessed via the TSM controls
- Mirroring accessed via TSM Controls
- I'm not great at shading/texturing. If anyone wants to come up with some slicker stuff you want incorporated, lemme know.
- Tag animations you do with him as "Squirrely" on YouTube, Vimeo or the like. I'd like to see em.
- Have fun:)
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Well, it's about time. I've finally updated my reel. It's mostly comprised of Garden City work along with the lip sync and Squirrely animations I did over the last couple of weeks. I am currently seeking temporary/contractual onsite or remote work as an animator in film, game or commercial work and am also open to full time employment opportunities in the Austin/Houston, TX areas. A higher res version of my reel can be found at the "Reel" link up top. Resume is up to date as well. Next week, I'm working on a project with Cory. Can't wait! Also, Squirrely is in prerelease. If you wanna test/play with him, gimme a shout via comment.